Castlevania 3 Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello, I'm back I guess

3 posters

Go down

Hello, I'm back I guess Empty Hello, I'm back I guess

Post  APC Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Hey guys, sorry I've been absent for so long
I'm apc one of the other programmers if you don't know, although I really haven't goten much work done considering how long I've been part of the project. So I've come back to at least finish the bosses that I started.
Reiko told me that I needed to finish up drac and the skeleton knight still needed some tweaking, but I need a new link for the most up to date engine because the one he gave me didn't work
Again I'm really sorry that I haven't been very active in this project at all I don't have any suitable excuse
APC
APC

Back to top Go down

Hello, I'm back I guess Empty Re: Hello, I'm back I guess

Post  Laslund Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 am

Hey Apc, that's cool man. Thanks for stopping by. I did have the link,but if it's not working i can try uploading it agian tommorow. Are you missing files? Should i send the entire folder or do you still have it and need the gmk and ini and stuff. Just curious. Just lemme know what your missing so i can send it too you tommorow. Ok ttys Apc.
Laslund
Laslund

Back to top Go down

Post  APC Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:07 am

The last link I got from you was back in april, I assumed you guys had a newer one you wanted me to work on, or should I continue with the engine I have now?
APC
APC

Back to top Go down

Post  reiko26 Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am

hey APC. here is a download file for the update if Las hasnt sent it to you yet.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7138j5

reiko26

Back to top Go down

Post  APC Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 am

Ok I was confused in your pm cause I didn't think it was possible to have a space in a url so I put it down as sendspace.com/7138j5, but now that I have the engine I'll start working on it, hopefully I'll have made some significant progress by the end of today or tomorrow
APC
APC

Back to top Go down

Post  Laslund Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 am

Cool man. That is awesome. Sorry i know it's late i had band practice late then decided to work on the doppleganger warp station. Yeah it's kick ass. Now i've gotta edit alucard out of it and walla. Yeah i'm excited to see how drac and skull knight come out. That will be awesome! Ok man i'm yawning as i'm typing. Gonna crash now. I'll ttyt! Later!
Laslund
Laslund

Back to top Go down

Post  APC Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:27 am

I've pretty much fixed the skull knight, I decided to take the mummy enemy and then modify it instead of make it from scratch like I've been doing, it turned out to be a good idea because a lot of the stuff I need is already taken care of in the scripts and as a result it's less work and it works better with the engine, it should also make it easier for you guys to tweak the code

http://www.mediafire.com/?cjnwxnr4ahow9n1

I had a few problems though so I'll just list them out and see what you guys think

The file you sent me had some problems, you didn't include a lot of the .dll files so I had to copy them over from the file I already had, now it fine

I was looking through the scripts called in the mummy enemy class and I was confused at scr_E_initmelee() because argument 5 in that script calls the event that triggers the attack of the enemy, the mummy was set to event_user(3) only it didn't have an event_user(3), so the script was basically useless. So before tackling the attacking for the skull knight I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something in this script

When I was modifying the mummy enemy I thought that the only thing I would need to re-code myself was the ledge jumping but it turns out that scr_E_ledge() is able to handle jumping onto ledges as well as reversing the direction of the enemies, but I looked at the ledge jumping code and it check whether there ISN'T a solid under the enemy before it jumps which seems counter intuitive to me. I'm pretty sure this is an error in logic but rather than changing the script I made a new script in the skull knight.

Lastly when I play in the debug level trevor dies when he gets hit once, so I couldn't really test any of the skull knight features that had anything to do with attacking or damage.

Hope you guys are happy with the changes I'll start getting back to work on drac soon

APC
APC

Back to top Go down

Post  Laslund Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:07 am

Oh wow that's awesome dude. Yeah i'll check it out! As for akmodon. He's mostly complete. Yeah i dunno i copied and meshed code from other enemies/bosses. I didn't really know what i was doing just trying to figure out stuff back then. So it's possible user event 3 was useless. That's not something obreck coded. That was me. So if it had errors that's probably why. Ok so yeah i'll check out skull knight and tell you what i think. Hm....trevor dies off of one hit. I dunno sometimes if you don't put the obj_stage_begin(or whatever it's called) then he'll start dying as you start the room. Then he'll restart and be fine. that's cause it needs code to give it a timer for the level. Otherwise he'd die at zero i think. And the default is probably zero. As for him getting hit once i dunno. I'll have to figure that out. I'll work with you on it and tell you anything else i know furher about the situation.

Also i found this earlier while on Jorge's site. This is a cool particle engine taht has examples of stuff in it! It has harsh rain with lightning and lightnig effects. It has earthquake effects. Maybe good for frankenstein when he stomps on the ground. It has some other cool cloud effects and the one that totally caught me off guard was the sunny lens effect. Where you move and it's like your looking through a camera lens and the sun glares. That's cool. I could see us using that somewhere like the mountain range level or even a sunsetting atlantis level. You guys should check it out when you get teh chance. It's really quite nice!
Here's the link:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/?showtopic=138220

Oh also apc if you need i can send the whole full folder if need be. Sorry i assumed you had all the plugin .dll files with it. Lemme know if you need an update one. Plus the music ini changed since then. Oh damn i forgot to put in some music mp3's too. That coulda gave it issues too. idk.
Laslund
Laslund

Back to top Go down

Post  reiko26 Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 am

yeah my engine is missing alot of the dll files as well and it doesnt work for me. so APC, if you can send me the engine that you have with all the files, then that would be great b/c what i have doesnt work for me.

reiko26

Back to top Go down

Post  Laslund Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 am

Well i just sat down with it. And i realized that you probably were messing with the mummy enemy and left him in by accident. But i just replaced him with the walking skull knight sprites. And walla! THe only real issues i'm seeing is that he only has walking sprites. He doesn't have attacking spriting or jumping down or up from his landing. But too be honest your collision with the blocks is much better. He knows where to jump now which is much better. The other thing is that top jump way to the left back onto the block is too high. His jumping there shoulnt' be much higher if any than the other jumping on the right side of the screen. Ironically the first time i ever tried coding him i did something similar execpt he got stuck at the top of the screen. Don't worry about his death animations. I'll take care of that. I got an idea on something involving codes and sprites. Yeah actually if you watch here right towards the end of this vid this is pretty much what he does:

Basically if you can duplicate what he does here you've got it! Like i said i can swing his death animation. It would be similar to levanthian and cyclops.
Laslund
Laslund

Back to top Go down

Post  APC Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:59 pm

@reiko
The mediafire link in my previous post includes all the .dll files, it doesn't have the .mp3s but the game still runs fine without the .mp3s there just won't be any background music

@laslund
I took a look at the video and it seems like trevor gets trapped in the right corner whenever the skull knight moves in that direction is it supposed to be that way? or should I try to make it in a way that trevor can jump over the skull knight? Also the proportions are different in this engine than in the original, should I program it based on the only proportions or the new ones?
APC
APC

Back to top Go down

Post  Laslund Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Ah to be honest, yeah base it off of this video cause the sizes are differnt. We are techically using jorge's skull knight it is just a diffrent version he did than what is in the video. Their is a slight color edit. The thing is he's supposed to do what the nes version did. I'm not sure their is much differnece. That whole thing with Trevor in teh right corner nah.....he's supposed to get hit if he's their. You have to be strategic on this boss. he just basically follows you around,jumps on the bricks after you and attack you with his sword. But if you are trapped in the corner you are assed out and must take the hit he delivers. Their is no need need to tweak trevor's code. All the players code with the exepction of hectors shouldn't really need any tweaking until we get to hector. We may make another version of alucard that mimics a more cv3 canon style of him. But that will be whenever someone gets to him. At this rate for now i'd say the id's for hector are only partially coded and very much unfinished. For this fight skull knight is the only real focus. Most of what you previously had was pretty good overall exepct that big jump should be a normal one. Also he should attack and when jumping up or down to land he needs the squatting animations. Like jorge's game had. But yeah what is in the video is pretty similar to the nes version from what i can tell.
Laslund
Laslund

Back to top Go down

Post  APC Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:53 pm

What about that extra platform that borders the left side of the screen? I don't think that was in the nes version, should I take that out?
APC
APC

Back to top Go down

Post  Laslund Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 am

do you mean the beta debug room i had him in in our game or jorge's game?? In his room when it locks him in with the boss trigger(cause that need to be the indicator to lock him into a fight) their is a some steps like 2 blocks worth and then slight up and to the right their are 2 more blocks together in mid-air like a platform for the player/boss to jump on . Then way to the right of the room their is another 2 set block piece platform like the other one but much lower to the ground. Not way up by the steps like the other one on the left. I'm pretty sure jorge's room is pretty similar to the nes cv3 version if i remember. So if anything else is their it shouldn't be. Oh and that debug room i had him in. It was orginally for testing levanthian for. But i duplicated it and put him in their instead while their is a copy of that room with levanthina in it on a later debug stage. Also the reason it wasn't working right. Is cause you can't put the debug stage befor the default room with is the title screen. Nothing will work right before that. In Mr D's system under game start i think or title screen. Their is code where it names each of the rooms that you'll start in for each level. Like if you do game start1 it will be rm_demo_1 and then if you did game start2 you'd go to rm_2_1 etc,etc. The only odd factor is that if you hit the switch player button on the title screen it'll bring you to the debug mode. From their i made like 6 or 7 debug rooms to test stuff out their. That'd be easier to test stuff out by duplicating a debug room and placing the boss inside rather than to build a whole new on. But yeah as far as i can tell for Skull knight's room it's just a small set of steps on the far left, with that platform up above and another platform way to the right but lower.
Laslund
Laslund

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum